Sunday, January 11, 2015

My Voxel Vehicle Showcase

John B. Marine | 8:22 PM | | | |
(UPDATED: October 10, 2019)

I used MagicaVoxel to make more cars than what I shown in a previous post. What I want to do for this blog post is share more of my vehicle creations with you all. This collection features a number of cars I created and want to share. Descriptions for each of the cars I've created lately will be provided in this blog post for your enjoyment. I hope you enjoy this blog post and my different creations.

Since this is my first released post for 2015 for "John's Creative Space," happy new year!


LATEST UPDATE(S)/REVISION(S)

OCT 10 2019 - added a new section, updated look of post






Voxel Vehicle Showcase


Before I continue, let me share with you a look at various voxel vehicles I created so far:

voxel cars trucks motorcycles
^ This picture represents many different vehicles I created, including some you may have already seen before.


This time, rather than some rather detailed look at each car, I figured I just share a picture and offer a brief description. I hope you enjoy this post of mine.


Family Sedan.

voxel car family sedan
This is an American sedan I created. Power comes from either a 260hp normally-aspirated Inline-6 or a 350hp normally-aspirated V8 in top-level trim. A 5-speed automatic or a 6-speed manual are offered for this car. It is a fron-wheel drive car, but rear-wheel drive is also offered.


Supercar.

voxel car supercar
While not the best design, I challenged myself to come up with something exotic and interesting. So what I did was create this supercar. I have no real story or specifications on this car except... it is fast, and it is long. A turbo V10 engine with about 550 horsepower is the heart of this supercar. Top speed is about 195 mph.


Classic American Convertible.

voxel car classic American convertible
I was inspired by seeing classic car auctions on TV to come up with a car like this. This is the first convertible car I've ever created with MagicaVoxel. The top is clearly down on this car. I think it is tougher to design more classic vehicles. I did my best regardless. A V8 engine powers this car with about 390 horsepower fed through a 4-speed automatic or a 4-speed manual.


European Hatchback.

voxel car European hatchback
The intent of this vehicle was in making a car that's boring. Nothing is "sexy" at all about this car. This car is more like someone's first car that just simply gets him/her around town and various other points. This front-wheel drive hatchback has a good 175 horsepower through a turbo inline 4 engine. It also comes in a turbo Inline-6 with 225 horsepower. Again- nothing special about this car to make it seriously appealing to most people.


Vintage European GT Sports Car.

voxel car vintage GT sports car
I consider this my most complex model I've created because there were a number of cues that are much different from the more modern machines I created. Among others is the headlight design. I tried to offer the illusion of lights tucked away and hiding behind glass. It is not easy to try to come up with such a design, so I let the lights show as they do. The Jaguar XKE and the Datsun 240Z were inspirations to me in making this machine. This was the first right-hand drive car I created. So if I were to create scenes with this car, you would see the driver on the right hand side drive this car.


Mid-Engined Hatchback.

voxel car mid-engine hatchback
If you know your cars, you probably know what this car's inspiration is. Think of a mid-engined hatchback with rear-wheel drive. If you aren't as keen on cars, then let me introduce you to this car's primary inspiration- the Renault Clio V6. A standard Clio was taken from its usual front-engine, front-wheel drive layout and given a more powerful engine mounted midship and given rear-wheel drive. It is one of the most unique vehicles ever created. I tried to create my own interpretation of this car with this model. A turbo V6 with 240 horsepower is the heart of my model. A 5-speed automatic or 5-speed manual drives this car.


Luxury Supercar.

voxel car luxury supercar
I actually had Aston Martin in mind in trying to design this car. It is a supercar that weighs about 3,800 lbs. and powered by a 480hp naturally-aspirated V12. There is also a supercharged V12 for this car that makes about 565hp. I didn't know exactly how to convey the Aston Martin look and feel in its design. So I modeled this car with certain cues I know of best. I had the Aston Martin DB9 in mind. However, this car's design also sort of takes on a character of another insane British sports car- the TVR Cerbera Speed 12. Only this machine is MUCH more docile than the Cerbera Speed 12.


Sporty British Roadster.

voxel car British sports roadster
Here is another car with some obvious style cues as to what this car resembles. This is how most Caterhams look. Go back even further and you may remember the Lotus Super 7. Either way, this machine is based on the more-than-capable roadster. It is a fast and agile sports car with exceptionally light weight. It accelerates and handles well, but don't expect it to win drag races or go fast around high-speed courses.


1990s Japanese Sports Car.

voxel car 1990s Japanese sports car
This car is my interpretation of a generic Japanese sports car from the 1990s. I mostly had the Nissan 240SX or the Nissan 300ZX in mind. The tail lights are more from the late 1990s Subaru Impreza. Maybe I felt like wanting to make this car a JDM (Japanese Direct Market) machine, so my model is right-hand drive. It is a car powered by an turbo Inline-6 pumping around 240hp or even 276hp.


Electric City Car.

voxel car microcar electric city car
I actually wanted to create a microcar that was environmentally friendly when I eventually made that neon green subcompact. This car is a more proper electric city car. This car leisurely takes its time getting up to 60 mph. It is a front-engined, front-wheel drive microcar with a top speed of about 105 mph.


These cars I created were created through MagicaVoxel. Each one is different in terms of me trying different design elements. There are still many limitations in designing voxel model cars. Despite these limitations, I am doing my best to try to design these cars for fun. One of my hopes is to try to use these models for media projects or possible game projects I have in mind. You may see these models (and more) in the future. I hope you enjoy my work regardless.




A Special Announcement!


(section addedL October 10, 2019)

After years of not knowing what I want to do, I finally decided to rework my voxel vehicle models to where I now offer them for sale! Since joining Envato, you can buy my voxel vehicles through Envato's 3DOcean. It is part of a package called "Basic Voxel Vehicle Pack." It includes 19 of the 20 regular model voxel vehicles I have created. Use them for your media projects or your game projects. If you want to make commercial work with my voxel vehicles, buy an Extended License on 3DOcean.

To get started and to see my voxel vehicles, click on the image or link below:

basic voxel vehicle pack
^ Click on the image or click on the following link to buy my voxel vehicle pack: Basic Voxel Vehicle Pack (Envato, 3DOcean)!

I would like to thank everyone who found my voxel vehicle work interesting and entertaining.





Before I close this blog post, I just want to make note of something. Ever since I started sharing my voxel artwork online, I've become fairly connected to various other voxel artists and game developers. I want to say hello to any pixel artists and game developers who may be reading my blog posts and seeing my work. Thanks to you all for supporting and enjoying my work. I know I talk a lot about MagicaVoxel, but I also am fond of any supportive of Qubicle Constructor. After all, I began making voxel art with Qubicle Constructor before I started really dabbling with MagicaVoxel. I am also using another free program called VoxelShop primarily to convert my MagicaVoxel models to COLLADA to use as I am trying to learn Unity3D. I'm all over the map, basically!

I have many more models I've created that I may share in the future. That even includes some models I am making exclusively for game projects. Will those projects ever come to fruition? Maybe... or maybe not. It all depends on if I am able to be convinced enough to make something good enough to be featured. Until then, all I am doing is sharing my work with the world, and I hope you're enjoying my work. Thank you for reading! Take care and be well.

Visit my official website at johnbmarine.com, subscribe to My Blog(s), and/or Follow on Bloglovin!
Subscribe to John's Blog Space (JBS) Subscribe to John's Creative Space (JCS) Subscribe to John's Race Space (JRS) Subscribe to StyleSpace (SS) Subscribe to John's Life Space (JLS)
Support My Creative Works!
JMDesigns Patreon Soundcloud Bandcamp Twitch OpenGameArt TurboSquid
Get Social With Me!
Facebook (Friends) Facebook (Fans) Twitter YouTube Instagram Pinterest LinkedIn (professionals only)
Questions or Comments? Contact Me (serious inquiries only)...
Contact Me via E-Mail




Share this article

0 comments:

Post a Comment

JohnMarineDesigns on TurboSquid

Would you like to donate to support my creative work? If so, please show your support using this PayPal item:
I am now on Patreon! Support my creative work on Patreon today at: www.patreon.com/johnbmarine!
 
Copyright © 2015 John's Creative Space • All Rights Reserved.
Template Design by BTDesigner • Powered by Blogger